Table of Contents
Team Vision for Problem Definition PhaseTeam Goals:
- Evaluate the current state of the baby stroller market and determine desired state
- Identify key constraints
- Continue to work with customer to obtain and clarify customer requirements and develop engineering requirements
- Develop use case scenarios
- Benchmark other baby strollers currently on the market
- Begin risk assessment
- We have developed the problem statement which evaluates the current state of baby strollers and identifies the desired state both for the end of our project and how it can continue to develop from there.
- We identified potential design concepts for the project to shape our customer interview survey. The survey will gather data from multiple parents to determine market interest.
- Preliminary risks for the project have been identified and will continue to be defined as the project continues.
- A project plan has been outlined and detailed.
Project StatementAn increase in efforts to build luxury baby gear has introduced several designs and concepts of high-end baby strollers with HV/AC (heating ventilation & air conditioning) capability. Yet, an inexpensive, middle-class stroller with this functionality has not been attempted for families with the greatest need for this type of product. In environments where extreme weather conditions can have serious or lethal impacts on a young one's health, this product could offer parents the freedom to safely bring their children outside during the coldest winter and hottest summer days.
Our design will create a contained and controlled environment for the child at near room temperature. The stroller should be functional in high and low temperature environments. Our team's primary concern is having too broad a project scope causing us to fail to deliver on a fully functional heating and cooling stroller. The team is considering focusing on just one functionality.
|Children / Infants||Consumer / Marketbase|
|Parents / Caretakers||Consumer / Marketbase|
|Dr. Josa Hanzlik||MSD Customer|
|Consumer Product Manufacturer||Future Customer|
|Ed Hanzlik||MSD Guide|
|RIT MSD||Financial Support|
Project Goals and Key DeliverablesProject goals and key deliverables include an HV/AC controlled baby chamber retrofitted to a baby stroller. Further research is needed to determine whether the baby stroller will be heated or cooled for the first revision of this design.
Customer Requirements (Needs)
Link to the live document here
Engineering Requirements (Metrics & Specifications)
Link to the live document here
- Budget of $500
- Limited testing conditions
- Size of additional components is limited based off size of stroller
- Limited time
- Size and life of battery
- Weatherproofing the electrical components
Initial Benchmarking Table
House of Quality
Plans for next phase
- Functional Decomposition
- -Read different product reviews
- -Test different strollers
- Concept Generation and Morphological Table
- -Make product use sketches
- Engineering Analysis
- -Review heat transfer notes
- -Calculate work to heat/cool stroller
- -Determine 0-3 year old homeostasis
- Systems Design
- -Determine if stroller will be heated, cooled, or both
- -Determine open or closed loop HVAC system
Combined list of individual three week plans here.