Subsystem Build & Test
Table of Contents
With our goals nailed down per last phase, the team worked hard further expand their knowledge of SUMO and tools available that we could use for our benefit. Big progress was focused on the configuration and runtime parts of the project. With the anticipated inclusion of detectors, the set up and optimization will be focused on next.
Team Vision for Subsystem Level Build & Test Phase
During this phase, the team worked to get much of the framework needed to run and analyze a SUMO simulation done. Test files were created that can successfully run a simulation and work has been done to retrieve information from the running simulation. The template used to create the SUMO configuration files is constantly being updated to include new required attributes.
Test Results Summary
- The program that reads in the configuration template can successfully read in arbitrary amounts of data provided it knows the general form of the template. This template is shown below.
- Template has been updated to accept more attributes that have been deemed necessary.
- Framework for parsing the input to the Excel sheet has been created.
- A test configuration has been created in order to be able to test the runtime features.
- Variables and variable data can be successfully extracted from a running simulation.
- A lot of work has been put into the data structures that will hold the simulation data and the functions to access and manipulate them.
- Decided that a minimally-functional runtime system is needed in order to validate the data and I/O interface with SUMO/TraCI before continuing to develop the structure around it.
- Pictures depicting the runtime can be found in this zipped folder.
Traffic DemandA decision was made for how to generate traffic, which will be done as and referred to as "Activity Gen." This allows us to enter in a statistics file and generate traffic demand for an intersection that will mimic commuting rushes and the times between commuting rushes. A stat file combines with the net file to create a trips file. Using a SUMO tool, DUAROUTER, it takes the net file and trips file to create a route file which houses the cars making the trips. The documentation for Activity Gen can be seen at the link. The other solution, referred to as "flows," also has documentation. An example of the code for a route file created by Activity Gen is shown below.
A Python script will end up being used to help generate the Activity Gen files based on the user's preferences. A screenshot of the script is shown below. The code can be seen at our GitHub page.
Risk and Problem Tracking
- Update your problem tracking.
Functional Demo Materials
These valid SUMO configuration files were used to run the simulation.
The review feedback & notes can be found here.
Plans for next phase
By the end of the next phase, the generated tools should be able to read in a complete configuration excel sheet and output the data in a format that is both easy to read/understand, and easy for the other configuration tools to parse into valid SUMO files.
We hope to complete more tasks during next phase. A nice graphic of our current progress can be seen at our JIRA page, as well as info on our sprints.