Build & Test Prep
Table of Contents
Team Vision for Build & Test Prep PhaseDuring this phase, the team completed problem track and test plans for each engineering requirement while addressing design concerns and building the test benches. Test benches are nearing completion and the plants are ready to begin. The concern about the electrical wiring have been addressed and marked as a low risk. The Surculus has not yet been delivered to RIT, but the team is hopeful that by mid February it will be.
Test Plan Summary
- The link to the Engineering Requirements as well as Test Plans can be found here
Risk and Problem Tracking
- A link to the full problem tracking document can be found here
- An updated risk management document can be found here
Motor Update1. Torque needed to turn surculus is only what is needed to overcome friction.
2. Main issue is how to increase speed. Options:
- Change external gears (requires designing and producing new gears as well as adjusting system configuration)
- Purchase new gearbox (we do not know what current gearbox is) Cost range: $65 - $90 depending on needed performance
Updated Purchase History
- We have made a few purchases since the end of MSD 1, all of them dealing with the power aspect of the model. Overall, we have spent $705.55 of the $800 given to us from MSD. Bob has agreed to put up an additional $800 if and when we bring the Surculus to RIT.
The test benches are about 75% done, just needing to put in a bottom reservoir and attach the last of the "drippers" to the tubing. The seeds have been germinated and are ready to be planted. Lighting system is done, and we will begin testing next week.
- Written on (1/25/18)
Plans for next phase
Direction for the rest of MSD II
- Continue test bench experiment.
- Bring the Surculus to RIT.
- Run a baseline test on the Surculus.
- Adjust the lighting on the Surculus for testing.
- Finalize all subsystem design changes (aeroponics with trays).
- Implement subsystems if time allows.