Customer Handoff & Final Project Documentation
Team Vision for Final Demo and HandoffDuring this phase, the team planned to implement aeroponics into the Surculus and validate the system. The team did successfully finish assembling the Surculus and begin testing. Aside from building and testing, the team created a poster for Imagine RIT, wrote the technical for the project, and prepared a lightning talk.
- Output of water from aeroponics system is about
126.80 gallons per day.
- Most of the water drains back into the reservoir.
- Lifecycle of water includes absorption, evaporation, and loss of water through leaking.
- Aeroponics system uses about 8.4 gallons per day with ± 1 gallon.
- Brackets were added to the aeroponics design to stablize the system.
- Due to time constraints, germinating and planting seedlings in the Surculus would not demonstrate proof of concept by Imagine (April 28, 2018).
- Regrow vegetables were used of seedlings because they
would show visible growth within the 12 days.
- Vegetables selected: Romaine, Celery, Green Onion
- Vegetable stumps were placed into the Surculus on April 17, 2018 at 10am.
Alternations made to the Surculus:
- LEDs were replaced
- Watts/plant math document can be found here.
- Trough was replaced with aeroponics
- Motor was adjusted to rotate faster
- Trays were altered to adjust for aeroponics
Performance vs Requirements
Engineering & Customer Comparison
Requirement Test Results
The comprehensive document including the customer reqs, engineering reqs, performance, and test procedures can be found here
Risk and Problem Tracking
Above is the finalized Risk Management. It represents the history of the risk for the project. It was is important to note that all risks have been mitigated at this time. The document can be found here.
A link to the final Problem Tracking can be found here.
BOM & Final Budget
Overall, we spent $1260.65 out of the total budget of $1600. We did not make any new purchases since the last design review, and focused on building and running the Surculus.
Final Project Documentation
Technical Paper and PosterYou will find the Technical Paper and the Project Poster at the following links:
Work Breakdown: By Topic
|Project Management||Design Tools||Design Documentation||Implementation||Validation||Presentation & Dissemination|
RecommendationsFuture Work Recommendations…
- Current motor should be replaced with a superior motor and gear design. A variable speed motor would allow more control over the system.
- Update the electrical box. The old electrical box’s safety was unknown and its appearance is janky.
- Implement a sensor system to measure and document the changes in the environment.
- Continue testing with varying lighting setting (exposure time and wattage) to discover the optimum settings for the eco-friendly system.
- Varying pump strength to control water flow
Plans for Wrap-up
The Clean Up Plan is the plan we intend to follow after Imagine RIT in order to get the Surculus back to Harbec in a timely manner.
Individual Wrap-up Plans:
The team also plans to give Bob a binder with information about project. Content of the binder includes the following:
- Test Bench Data
- plant placement instructions
- LED Lighting System
- instructions for operation
- Budget & BOM
- System Performance vs Reqs
- User Guide
- Technical Paper
Action Items for Gate Review
- Fix gallons per hour to days on EDGE - completed 4/24
- Get electrical cords and plugs off of the floor dress them for imagine - completed 4/28
- Identify location of calculation for 3 W/plant to design spec for LEDs - completed 5/1
- Add some explanation that all the risks have been mitigated since the risk assessment still has a lot of risks -completed 4/26
- Add maintenance part of solution to clogging to problem tracking -completed 4/26
- Send Charlie paper -completed 4/26