Integrated System Build & Test
Table of Contents
Team Vision for Integrated System Build & Test PhaseIn this phase our goal was to complete all four subsystem upgrades including trays, motor, LEDs, and aeroponics as well as complete and process data from benchtop testing. The motor, tray, and LED subsystem upgrades were completed, and aeroponics will be built when the parts are shipped in. The data from benchtop testing was processed and it was apparent that radishes showed the best growth in the test time and conditions, and the duration of light appeared more important than the amount of light each plant was getting.
Test Results Summary
Benchtop DOE Data AnalysisThroughout MSD II a benchtop experiment was run to define the parameters used in the Surculus (see previous Edge pages for design set up). The experiment was a fourth resolution, full factorial design with one full repeat. The factors included: Vegetable Type, Watts per Plant, Light Exposure Time, and nutrient levels. Response measured include: Days Alive, Number of Leaves, and Max Height. The data was processed in Minitab and the following conclusions were made:
- Wattage is a significant factor for plant height
- 3W performed better than 4.5W
- Number of Days Alive had no significant factors involved
Going forward with this information, it was decided 3W at 16hrs will be implemented in the Surculus. Nutrient levels will follow the guidelines on the bottle, see previous Edge Page for nutrient level information.
Engineering Requirements for Surculus Testing
The full document with Engineering Requirements, Customer Requirements, and test plans for each requirement can be found here.
Risk and Problem Tracking
Updated Risk Management document can be found here
Updated Problem Tracking document can be found here
The lighting system is fully documented and explained here. From top to bottom, is a diagram notating the different components of the system, the system schematic, an example showing a soldered connection of two LED light strips, and an example of the lighting system along with details.
TraysSummary of Tray Modification Process:
- Twelve trays had five large holes added to accommodate zero to five plants in each tray
- Only twelve trays were modified to allow for test data to be processed before irreversibly changing all trays. Twelve trays will give sufficient test data
- The modified trays have been reinstalled into the surculus
MotorSummary of Motor Modification:
- Removed 10X gearhead to decrease gear ratio and increase rotation speed
- Explanation and justification of process can be found here
Aeroponics & Water DeliverySummary of Aeroponics Design and Modification
- Aeroponics will be built into existing system design
- Lower reservoir by 7.5 inches
- High pressure pump and misting nozzles for goal of 50 micron water droplets
- Additive manufacturing part that supports reservoir broke
- Will plan solution to support reservoir: possible solution includes connection directly to frame for more robust weight bearing
A detailed drawing set for the Aeroponics design system can be found here
BOM and Budget Outlook
The updated BOM now includes each part number as well as the vendor and link. We purchased parts for the lighting, aeroponics, and reservoir systems. Comparing the purchases to our proposed budget, we are fairly close to out estimate. We spent less than estimated on aeroponics and the motor system, and slightly more than estimated on the lighting. At the moment, we are about $75 under our projected budget.
Plans for next phasehere. Action Items list can be found here.
3 Week Plans:
Action Items from Review
- Make testing plan – decide when to implement aeroponics or if only a demo is possible
- Add misting nozzle image to EDGE
- Update Bob on status of broken/missing trays and other parts
- Track suggestions for project future including:
- Variable motor speed
- Consider continued testing and research to gain more information on light amount
- Propose changing the design of the friction connection between 18 tooth and 84 tooth gear
- Any other items or parts of concern
- Adjust test plans for engineering requirements
- Replacement life cycle – can assumptions be made due to individual components that are expected to wear out
- Document summary of ideal rotation speed, flow rate, etc and why
- Identify test plan of how much water gets through the nozzles (possible plan to run nozzles for a certain amount of time and measure change in water level)
- Update LED subsystem documentation to include how many LEDs per strip
- Update LED subsystem electrical schematic to include
keywords and some description to explain what is
- Are strips controlled independently?
- How does master remote control them all? Does it control them at the same time?