Build & Test Prep
Table of Contents
Team Vision for Build & Test Prep Phase
|Phase 5 Team Plan + Milestones (online)|
|Phase 5 & 6 Team Plan|
|Milestones MSD II|
What is our plan?
- Finalize structure shape and dimensions
- Mold mounting method
- Benchmark heating system
- Design heating system mounts
- Meet with Prof. Stevens to discuss heating and cooling system
- Finalize mold design
- Design part ejection method from the mold
- Follow up on budget increase request
- Meet with The Construct to discuss vacuum forming capabilities
- Meet with the machine shop to discuss welding and machining capabilities
- Order materials for structural frame
What have we completed?
- Received electronic components
- Met with Michael Buffalin at The Construct and discussed plastic laminate constraints
- Updated mold design to create a 12” x 12” x 1/16” plastic sheet
- Met with Rob Kraynik about machining of structural frame
- Updated structural frame design from Rob’s feedback
- Began machining a prototype mold to start testing of plastic melting and cooling
- Budget increase request was approved for a total budget of $1150
- Updated BOM
- Updated risk assessment
- Planning on going to Klein Steel on 1/25/18 at 2PM to pick out raw materials
- Planning on meeting with Prof. Stevens on 1/25/18 at 9AM
Test Plan Summary
Test Plan Breakdown
- T1 - Basic Observations
- T2 - Length Measurements
- T3 - Weight Measurements
- T4 - Temperature and Heat Testing
- T5 - Efficiency
- T6 - Compression Testing
- T7 - Safety
- T8 - Chip Input Size Testing
Working Test Plans can be found here.
Materials, Procurement and Budgeting
Current DesignOur current design has undergone the following changes following a meeting with Robert Kraynik from the machine shop on campus.
- Legs and top vertical frame members are now one piece.
- Some horizontal members undergoing compression or expansion were strengthened from 1/8" wall thickness to 1/4" wall thickness.
- The corner gussets (braces) were changed to triangles cut from flat bar steel.
- The bottom mold support was flattened to allow an even distribution of forces.
Risk and Problem Tracking
A working Risk Assessment file can be found here. The primary source of risk mitigation has come from the budget increase for our project:
- R9 - Insufficient funds to purchase all materials.
An additional risk was added concerning the cooling of the system:
- R33 - Cooling system is not designed/implemented.
Design Review Materials
Plans for next phase
- Testing of mold machining
- Testing of prototype mold
- Testing of aliment system
- Testing of heating system
- Testing of electronic system
- Designing of ejection systematic
- Designing of cooling system (could prove non-feasible)
- Structural build
- Prototype mold build
- Electrical system build
- Prototype heating system build
- Ejection plate prototype
- Ignacio Martos - Phase Plan