Preliminary Detailed Design
Table of Contents
Team Vision for Preliminary Detailed Design PhasePlanned:
- Test old shredder by adding spacers at both end
- Choose new shredder design
- Update engineering requirements
- Update house of quality
- Update system architecture
- Update functional decomposition
- Update risk management
- Refine the washing process
- Refine the drying process
- Create test plans for proposed designs
- Create a process map
- Identify materials needed in a bill of materials
Accomplished: Our team accomplished majority of planned tasks. Tasks to be done next phase:
- Finalize shredder option
- Continue to refine designs
- Finalize test plan & BOM
Our team performed additional research during Phase 3.here
- Additional research was done on plastic shredders.
A link to the working Shredder Research document can be found here
- Research and brainstorming was done on systems in the process, in order to further refine them. These systems were: collection, delivery, sorting, and storing.
A link to the working Refined Concepts document can be found here
Feasibility: Prototyping, Analysis, SimulationsShredder Analysis:
|Blade 19||4.98 mm thick||5 mm|
|Ring Spacer 19||5.97 mm thick||6 mm|
|Fixed Knife Spacer 19||5.97 mm thick||6 mm|
|Fixed Knife Blade 19||4.97 mm thick||5 mm|
|Blade 18||4.98 mm thick||5 mm|
|Ring Spacer 18||5.98 mm thick||6 mm|
Blades were not consistently flat.
20 blade, 19 spacers = 213.03 mm
Results: First blade fell off the shaft and we could't get it back on. We are now considering the bottle cutter and chopping motion to cut the bottles. Shredder maintenance would be extremely difficult in Nicaragua.
Manual Plastic Bottle Cutting Test Identifying the plastic types of plastic bottles and cutting the labels off of bottles were timed in trials.
|Identifying Plastic Types (sec)||Cutting Off Labels (sec)|
Drawings, Schematics, Flow Charts, SimulationsThe images below depict our proposed Washing Device from a SolidWorks file. here
Bill of Materials (BOM)here
Design and Flowcharts
Current Process Maphere
Proposed Process Maphere
Design Review MaterialsA link to the Preliminary Design Review Presentation can be found here Feedback from review:
- Multiple buckets to wash off the labels instead of just cutting labels off first
- How long do the commercial shredder’s blades last before they get dull and have to be replaced?
- Seam ripper to remove labels
- Bike store at RIT for parts
- Gears vs. pulleys - pulleys are cheaper and easier to set up
- Power source for washing device