Team Vision for Problem Definition Phase
- Contact representatives from Enlace Project and 4Walls Project.
- Research last year’s MSD design.
- Review field notes from previous trips.
- Identify stakeholders and obtain contact information.
- Understand why stakeholders are interested the project.
Project Objective Statement:
- Develop a list of interview questions and predicted answers.
- Interview customer to understand final product.
- Develop a 12 word problem statement.
- Obtain Project Readiness Package (PRP) from stakeholders.
- Create draft list of customer requirements.
- Finalize list of customer requirements based on input from customer interview.
- Update engineering requirements.
House of Quality:
- Identify relationships between customer and engineering requirements.
- Identify trade offs between requirements.
- Develop Work Breakdown Structure (WBS).
- Identify responsibilities for each task.
- Develop project plan for the next cycle.
- Identify risks along with their severity and likelihood.
- Develop a contingency plan.
- Set up meeting time.
- Identify roles for each team member.
- Pick a team name.
- Identify team’s values and norms.
- We were able to accomplish all of the tasks in our Team Vision mentioned above, except for picking a team name, which is currently a work in progress.
- A link to the working Team Vision document can be found here
Project SummaryThe town of El Sauce currently has a very limited waste management system, and no recycling process. All of the trash is collected by a small truck, which is manned by 4 people within the city boundaries, and then it’s thrown into a landfill. There is a large amount of plastic bottles, particularly 2L soda bottles, in the landfill. A local family currently sifts through the trash in the landfill for the plastic bottles, and sells them in bulk to Gravita.
The proposed model will enable the people of El Sauce to collect, sort, clean, and process the plastic bottles. This system will help reduce the plastic waste and improve the state of the local environment. The model will also provide jobs for the locals as well as upcycle plastic bottles to generate a profit. Finally, the proposal must be able to operate in a small sized business or out of a house.
The goal of this project is to develop a business model, supply chain, facilities layout model, and quality control procedures for a bottle upcycling system. The expected result is a functional prototype of a system that can process bottles in preparation for upcycling. This prototype should also be accompanied by a technical paper, poster, and 3 minute video.
The Nicaragua bottle upcycling project is bounded by several guidelines and constraints. A key constraint is that the business must be located in the town of El Sauce and it has to be sourced locally. Another constraint is that the business must have low start up costs and be easy to maintain and support so a local family in El Sauce can run the business themselves. Finally, this MSD team has been given a project budget of $500 to work with over the project’s duration.
- A link to the working Project Summary document can be found here
|August 31, 2017||
||Session 1||Session 1|
|Enlace Project||Customer that assists small business in El Sauce.|
|El Sauce Mayor's Office||Customer that governs the town.|
|Gravita||Customer that buys bottles from El Sauce.|
|Four Walls Project||Primary customer that builds homes for those in need in El Sauce.|
|Bottle Collectors||Customer that collects plastic bottles at the dump.|
|Transportation Company||Customer that collects and transports plastic bottles.|
|El Sauce Citizens||Primary customer who'd benefit most from RIT MSD work.|
|Gerry Garavuso||RIT MSD team advisor and guide.|
|RIT MSD P18434||Product Developers.|
- A link to the working Stakeholders document can be found here
- A link to the working Current Use Case document can be found here
- A link to the working Alternative Use Case document can be found here
Project Goals and Key Deliverables
- A working prototype of bottle upcycling process that meets all given requirements
- Detailed design documentations
- Business plan
- A link to the working Project Goals and Key Deliverables document can be found here
Customer Requirements (Needs)
- A link to the working Customer Requirements document can be found here
Engineering Requirements (Metrics & Specifications)
- A link to the working Engineering Requirements document can be found here
House of Quality
- A link to the working House of Quality file can be found here
- A link to the working Risk Management can be found here
Plans for next phase
- A link to the working Project Plan can be found here
- Thien Nguyen's Three Week Plan
- Jack Powers' Three Week Plan
- Yingyan Guan's Three Week Plan
- Emily Rosenthal's Three Week Plan