Table of Contents
In 2011, Dresser Rand donated an advanced reciprocating compressor to RIT. The compressor, valued at $90,000, delivers gases at high pressure in support of the oil, gas and petrochemical industries. It was installed in the Kate Gleason College of Engineering and will be used by faculty and students on multidisciplinary design projects and research. The objective of this senior design is to build a low cost health status monitoring system for the donated compressor based on Industrial Internet of Things concept. The monitor system will be connecting to multiple sensors on the compressor, reading data from the sensors and transmit all the data to a mobile device such as a phone or a tablet where the data will be analyzed and interpreted in forms of graphs such as P-V graph and FFT graph. The resulting design and prototype should be portable and usable without the need of internet to display status of the compressor. Here is the link to this project PRP
|Dr. Jason Kolodziej||MSD Sponsor|
|MSD team||Project developers|
Project SummaryThe Low Cost Reciprocating Compressor System Health Monitor was developed by a Multidisciplinary Senior Design team in the 2016-2017 academic year. This unit takes data from sensors on various devices, observing the performance of the reciprocating compressor, which is a positive displacement compressor that delivers gases at high pressure.
The current design of the System Health Monitor is capable of taking the necessary data from the compressor. The goal of this project is to implement wireless data transmission to a handheld device and presenting it in a clear format. The desired method for wireless is via and app to a tablet or phone without an internet connection. The handheld would also be able to compare current data to an old set of data and compute the FFT for the vibration data.
- Operator walks to the compressor and is able to monitor the compressor's status via his/her tablet/phone.
- Operator is away from desk and the system shuts down the compressor or alerts operator if some metrics have exceeded threshold values from user configurable settings.
- Operator is away from the compressor and be able to monitor it via internet.
Project Goals and Key Deliverables
- All design documents (project readiness package, schematics, detailed design documents, ...)
- Working prototype
- Technical paper
- Presentation Poster
Customer Requirements (Needs)
Link to the live document Customer Requirements
Customer InterviewCustomer Interview
Engineering Requirements (Metrics & Specifications)
Link to the live document Engineering Requirements
- Budget is $2000.
- Size and weight should be small but not miniature.
- Software is not necessarily a constraint but an iPhone or Android App is highly desired over a laptop software executable.
House of Quality
Link to live document House of Quality
Link to live document Risk Management