Team Vision for Problem Definition Phase
- Understand the scope of our project
Project Summary3D Printers have grown in use and have developed into more advanced and efficient printers. One such printer, the Self Replicating Rapid Prototype (RepRap), has become a popular choice of consumers due to its ability of self-replicating up to 70% of its product. Due to affordability, and its production of customizable parts, it is a reliable choice for use in aiding developing countries. Some countries only have limited electrical power sources. To fix this problem, the current RepRap printer should be powered using solar power. This will limit electricity usage, allowing users to print needed components and items without limitations.
The main goals of the project include the development of a solar powered RepRap printer that is easy to assemble, use, and clean. It shall be portable, cost effective, and produce good quality components. Our partner project team from UAO in Columbia is working on a device that will create printer filament from recycled plastic bottles. The printer shall be able to print with this created filament. The result will be a prototype design, fully powered by solar light, with enough power to melt the created filament. It will be constrained to non-electrical power supplies and consistent with the intellectual property of the project.
The 3D printer will then be used by the residents of Cali, Colombia to promote creativity, entertainment, and education for the children of the community with intention of lowering the amount of violence and crime activity in the area. The use of solar energy will allow the community to use the printer when electricity is limited. The goal for the implementation of the printer is to encourage technical and manufacturing advances that will improve the standard of life for the residents of Cali, Colombia.
Use Case 1
Use Case 2
Use Case 3
- Wheeling out to customer
- Set up solar panels
- Run printer
Project Goals and Key Deliverables
- Get target customer off of the streets so that they do not participate in gang activity
- Create Skills trading that increases chances of customer employment
- Production of goods that create revenue, potentially starting a small business
- A prototype and tested design of a solar-powered 3D
- Prototype is able to integrate filament processor created by Colombia team
- Prototype is able to replicate 70% of its parts
- Documents pertaining to the development and design of the product
- Troubleshooting guide to allow customers/operators to service and maintain printer
Customer Requirements (Needs)
Engineering Requirements (Metrics & Specifications)
Values and Norms
- Attendance: Team members will attend all team meetings unless excused.
- Reliability/Dependability: If a team member is assigned a task they are expected to complete it to the best of their ability and if they need help they should communicate that.
- Communication: Everyone should be active within the group. Be considerate with one another and open minded.
- Ethics: Team members should submit their own work. Follow lab procedures.
- Decisions: All opinions should be shared with the team in a timely manner. If needed, decisions can be made through voting. If a tie is present the project manager will break the tie.
- Attendance: Team members should be on time for all meetings unless otherwise excused. Team members should be active at all meetings they are present at.
- Reliability: All team members perform quality work and are punctual when a deadline is present. If any team member requests feedback, all team members should make an attempt to evaluate the work.
- Communication: All team members should be given the opportunity to present their own ideas and the time allowed to do so. Team members are expected to respond to e-mails/texts in a timely manner. Communication through e-mail should include all team members and guide.
- Ethics: Behave in a professional manner. Academic honesty is a must.
- Device must use solar energy to power the electronics and heat the filament
- Fits the need of the user profile: students in a lower income area to promote creativity, interest, and knowledge to reduce the amount of students involved in violence and crime on the street
Filament specifications: Diameter is 1.75mm and made from recycled plastic bottles
House of Quality
RisksDownload Excel File
Design Review Materials
- Problem Definition Presentation
- Notes from review
- Action Items