Team Vision for Problem Definition Phase
- Define the problem at hand
- Determine the project goals and key deliverables
- Identify stakeholders
- Confirm team's understanding of project with customer
- Describe multiple use scenarios
- List customer needs and engineering requirements
- Discuss team roles and team name
- Agree upon team values
- Edge homepage updated with all details required
- Design review presentation well under way
- All aspects of plan accomplished successfully
- Project plan in the works
Advancements in mobile technology and connectivity have unveiled new avenues of growth for both the developed and developing nations across the globe, whether they be for personal, fiscal, or technological benefit. Unfortunately, it is not uncommon for people in rural areas of developing countries to have unreliable or nonexistent power sources — even while still in range of a cellular tower. This project is aimed at developing a rugged, portable, water-powered solution for charging any USB-compatible device. The product will replace the insufficient power in these regions with reliable and renewable energy using nothing but a moving body of water.
The device will be able to remain in a body of water for long periods of time while also allowing the user to simultaneously charge their devices on land. The product will be robust, waterproof, and versatile in order to function in varying bodies of water and weather conditions. The ideal result is a functioning prototype that is economical to manufacture and market to those in areas afflicted by unreliable power. This design must have an extension that allows the user to place the device into the body of water and avoid any contact with local wildlife. Additionally, the design is aimed to be simplistic in nature so that the user can troubleshoot “on-the-go” if necessary.
Link to one page project summary: Project Summary
Project Goals and Key Deliverables
Expected end result of the project, what the customer can expect to receive at the end of the project.
- Design portable, rugged, USB charger which utilizes moving water to generate power.
- Charger will provide 1.5-3A of current at 5V.
- Device will be waterproof, reliable, easy to maintain, and simple to setup.
Customer Requirements (Needs)
The working Customer Requirements document can be found here: Customer Requirements
Engineering Requirements (Metrics & Specifications)
The working Engineering Requirements document can be found here: Engineering Requirements
House of Quality
The working House of Quality document can be found here: House of Quality
Outputs and DestinationProvide input to the risk management process.
The working Risk Management document can be found here: Risk Management
Design Review Materials
The working Design Review document can be found here: Design Review Powerpoint
Plans for next phase
- As a team, where do you want to be in three weeks at your next review?
- As an individual on the team, what are you doing to help your team achieve these goals? (Use the individual 3-week plan template for this)