P18485: Biochar Concrete Roofing Tile Manufacturing and Complete Roof System/public/
Rapid Prototyping3D Printing was used as means of rapid Prototyping. The team decided that these prototypes can be used to exemplify the interaction of the tiles, prior to their creation. Team Member Dan was able to print multiple iterations of the tile design, so that stakeholders can compare in a visual and tactile way.
Previous Team Tile MockupWe built a tile using the last team's equipment, but with our pumice concrete mix. We did this in order to get used to the process of making a tile, and to take note of any problems that may occur when we eventually build our tiles. We learned the following lessons:
- Mix buffer of 1.35 produces the right amount of concrete
- Water mixing needs to be done very carefully in order to achieve the right viscosity
- Too much water hinders the concrete's ability to keep shape of the nubs
- Our tile is indeed significantly lighter than the previous team's tile
- Crushing our pumice to size is too inefficient; ordered more pumice at the right size