Preliminary Detailed Design
Team Vision for Preliminary Detailed Design Phase
Summary of Work CompletedDuring this phase, the team was able to complete the following:
- Confirm customer and engineering requirements
- Identification of 8 Wastes within the changeover process
- Update Fishbone Diagram
- Create Test Plans for next phase
- Collect a video recording of a second changeover in the 3P Packaging area
Prototyping, Engineering Analysis, SimulationIterative activities to demonstrate feasibility, including assumptions you made in your analyses or simulations. Have you completed sufficient analysis to ensure that your design will satisfy requirements? Have you included all usage scenarios in your modeling?
Feasibility: Prototyping, Analysis, Simulation
Proposed Changeover Utilizing Workers and Parallel
The following structure to the 3P Changeover utilizes two workers in parallel. When the steps in the time study were rearranged for two workers in parallel, the total time decreased from 416 seconds to a projected total time of 311 seconds. The projected time is 25% less than the time study for the first changeover. The bolded steps are where the operators work together, and an operator with more experience may act as "Operator 1" in the proposed changeover.
Drawings, Schematics, Flow Charts, Simulations
From analyzing the first changeover video and the process in person, we were able to determine the following wastes within the changeover process. The wastes stated are primarily focused on the 3P Packaging area.
PurposeDemonstrate objectively the degree to which the Engineering Requirements are satisfied. The following test plans are not yet prioritized, but will be prior to the next design review phase.
Design and Flowcharts
Going into the 3rd Phase, the Fishbone diagram was updated to include the Methods category.
Risk AssessmentMany of the risks are low severity items external of our project. The top four risks can be seen in the snapshot below.
The complete list of risks can be seen in the following Risk Management document.
Design Review Materials
The full Preliminary Detailed Design presentation can be accessed here.
The notes after the meeting can be accessed here.
Plans for next phaseDuring the next three weeks, we would like to complete the following.
- Analyze the 2nd changeover video and create timestudy
- Potentially capture a 3rd and 4th changeover
- Classify steps as internal or external
- Design a more structured and streamlined changeover process
- As an individual on the team, what are you doing to help your team achieve these goals? (Use the individual 3-week plan template for this)