Caster Maneuverability Test
Objective: Test maneuverability of different caster types
- Flat board
- Tile surface
- Attach the casters to the flat board.
- Measure out a 5ft distance on a tile floor.
- Roll the base along the floor and time the run.
- Roll the base around and notate the ease of maneuverability, going straight and turning.
- Make notes of the resistance of the caster on tile floor.
Trial 1: Office Chair (set up was
different from the others)
Time: 3.58 seconds
- Hard to make sharp turns
- Gets caught on the floor, jagged movement
Trial 2: Rubber Caster
Time: 4.76 seconds
- Easy to turn
- Occasional jagged movement
- Very easy to get dirty
Trial 3: Nylon Caster
Time: 5.03 seconds
- Smoother movements
- Sometimes get caught on the floor (leveling system rubs on floor if board not parallel to ground)
- Favors going straight, needs little more force to go straight