Table of Contents
Team Vision for Detailed Design PhaseDuring this phase phase, the plan is simply to test the components intended for use in the design to ensure that they will suit our needs. Completing this task will allow for a comfortable greenlighting of the current design plans and schematics.
- Timing belt driver system was chosen over a round belt/pulley system.
- Performed calculations to determine required belt length, placement of the motor shafts, and possibly tightening mechanisms.
- Finalized hole placement and cuts for the water-jet plastic
- All standard parts have been added to the model
- Clamping mechanism has been added for the antenna
- Shaft location has moved to accommodate an antenna on either side of the assembly
- Waterproofing has been investigated and a solution chosen, backup plan in place
- Roof installation model basics are complete, a few additional details are needed
- Create simulated movement paths
- Create simulated sensor data logs
- Acquire / create a mock-up of the mechanical load, for testing of motor torque and speed
- Test full electrical system against temperature
- Assemble full antenna receiver system, work with Max to test
- Evaluated current consumption of Pi
- Began testing SDR with GNU Radio
- Requires some additional configuration to work with RTL-SDR
- Still exploring options and working out issues
- Interface was very laggy over SSH
- npyscreen (curses wrapper)
- Issues displaying certain characters over SSH
- Will target basic text interface
- Possibly add colors and non-blocking keyboard input with pynput
Drawings, Schematics, Flow Charts, SimulationsElectrical Schematic
Bill of Material (BOM)BOM
- Ensure Sufficient Motor Torque
- Determine Energy Required to Move System
- Determine Effects of Temperature on Mechanical Performance
- Confirm Capability of Chosen Motor Driver to Drive Chosen Motor
- Characterize Motor Parameters
- Measure Worst Case Power Consumption
- Generate Simulated Sensor Data: Used to Run Repetitive Testing on Motor Movement
- Measure Accuracy and Sensitivity of DOF Sensor
- Test and Refine Serial Communication Between Raspberry Pi and Arduino
- Test Network and Remote Access Setup
- Configure for Linux/Raspbian
- Measure Worst Case Power Consumption and Heat Output
Risk AssessmentThe gimbal will need to be prototyped before we can definitively conclude how we intend to handle coil cabling, rotation limit switches or weatherproofing.
We have found a way to perform thermal and environment testing on the assembly to determine its temperature and humidity tolerance. During this process and in choosing our components, we need to be well aware of the individual temperature ratings of our parts.