P19330: Computer Chassis Cleaner
/public/

Gate Reviews

Table of Contents

MSD I: Readiness to move to Build & Test

Status Review

Current state of the project

At this point, the team is around the "yellow" category. Since a complete redesign was done at the end of MSD I, the team still has a lot of specific design details to work out. We are hoping that this new design will meet all requirements more easily and completely. We understand that we have behind due to the redesign but have created a very detailed schedule for next semester to help us catch up and get back on track.

Requirements

public/Zielenski/new customer requirements.JPG public/Zielenski/new eng requirements.JPG

Current requirements document can be found here

Issues Raised During Detailed Design Review:

Current Plan vs. Original Plan

The actual scope of the project has not changed drastically. A few weeks into the project the customer brought up that he'd like the system powered and controlled by the shop vac, but this did not change the scope of the project. As far as the schedule is concerned, we originally planned to create a static system with a multitude of nozzles. We figured out that this design would not work with the airflow that the shop vac is able to give off. This led us to a complete redesign of the system which changed our plan significantly. We have placed new milestones and markers in our schedule to reflect this last-minute change and hope to catch up within the summer term.

Before the end of MSD I the team would like to have a design that we feel confident about and a solid start on the BOM so we can hit the ground running once MSD II starts. Our limited budget is a big constraint as of right now. Our new design is much more complex since it contains an XY axis with a moving air column full of nozzles and our current budget may not be able to support this complexity.

Having to do a complete redesign taught us quite a bit. We should have done more robust testing and concept selecting earlier on. This may have given us a better chance of catching the major flaws we faced. We also should have consulted SME's sooner to see if the concepts we had in mind were plausible and if the formula's or assumptions we were making were valid before jumping right in.

We were on track to use our MSD I plan effectively, the redesign is the only thing that threw it off. We used the tools given and described to use efficiently later in the term. We definitely learned to not put resources into a concept that is not confirmed to work. As we started the redesign, we attempted to find the flaws quickly so that we wouldn't fall into the same hole again. The Electrical side was able to incorporate last-minute changes and redesigns into their boards quickly.

Individual Team Member Status

Toward the beginning of the semester, there was a lack of personal responsibility amongst the group. As we got further into the course and started using more tools to keep everyone on the same page, we were able to improve on this personal responsibility. Moving toward MSD II, the team won't be able to meet together as often due to schedule conflicts so we hope to distribute more personal responsibility so everyone understands how important it is to get their tasks done on time. Especially since we are behind due to the redesign, the project needs to progress quickly and efficiently. For more in-depth individual team member status and information, personal three-week plans and end of semester plans are located at the end of each phase's edge page.

Current Risk Assessment vs. Original

Updated Risk Assessment is available in the figure below. New risks were added to the bottom along with possible mitigation plans.

public/Photo Gallery/DDR/DDR_Risk.JPG

Current Excel Sheet here

Risk Plans to be added to MSDII Schedule here

Due to the redesign, many older risks are no longer applicable and newer risks were added. The remaining risks all have remediation plans and we tried to establish a more broad and complex list of risks that could happen in MSD II. None have manifested into problems yet since we haven't started any building or testing.

We continuously work on updating our risk assessment document as we think of new things or as older risks become obsolete so it is often changing. We learned that it is important to flush out risks early on so that planning, budgeting, and other resources can be used efficiently. Planning for risks to happen instead of just wondering if they'll happen seems to help in risk mitigation. Also, no matter how many risks you can think of, some things you just can't plan for or think of in advance. In this case, the team just needs to be ready to quickly come up with a back-up plan so that no extra time is lost.

MSD II schedule

A current MSD II Preliminary Schedule is below. Updates still need to be made as risk mitigation is planned.

public/Photo Gallery/DDR/MSDII_Schedule.JPG

Preliminary MSD II Schedule PDF Available Here

MSD II: Project close-out

Status Review - Current State of Project

Performance vs. Requirements

public/Zielenski/Meeting Requirements.JPG

Final Design

Budget

Customer Assessment

Current Plan vs. Original Plan

Individual Team Member Status

Risk Assessment and Problem Tracking

Most of the important risks were driven to zero. The resulting risks are shown below. public/Zielenski/Risks Left Over.JPG

Lessons Learned


Home | Planning & Execution | Imagine RIT

Problem Definition | Systems Design | Preliminary Detailed Design | Detailed Design

Build & Test Prep | Subsystem Build & Test | Integrated System Build & Test | Customer Handoff & Final Project Documentation