Table of Contents
Team Vision for Problem Definition Phase
- Understand the status of the current piano. After consulting with the customer determine how we can improve the design.
- Attempt to replicate the current described functionality.
- Gather the customer requirements and use those to generate Engineering requirements.
- Take an inventory of current supplies.
Project SummaryThe current iteration of the Player Piano is a mechanism which actuates piano keys and pedal of an upright piano. The user chooses a pre-programed song, and the piano plays it. The Player Piano could be modified to accommodate those who are no longer able to play the piano unaided, such as amputees, and assist them in playing the piano again. The goals for the next iteration of the Player Piano are for it to be able to assist a one-handed player, be able to control all of the piano keys and pedals, and for the mechanism to be quieter.
Project Goals and Key Deliverables1. Create a prototype that increases the octave and volume of previous years.
2. Create a user interface system that allows users the ability to play songs with the freedom to play the song to their choice.
3. No physical modifications of the piano.
4. Expanded functionality for assistance for a disabled performer
Customer Requirements (Needs)
Engineering Requirements (Metrics & Specifications)
House of Quality
Plans for next phase
- Knowledge on how the current striking mechanism interacts with piano
- Have a better understanding of current solenoid system
- Understand where the delays is coming from
- Research in feedback for system
- Review requirements with client