Build & Test Prep
Table of Contents
Team Vision for Build & Test Prep Phase
We planned to test the different subsystems and plan how they will be integrated into the final prototype.
We created a first iteration of the blades. The offshore housing was bought and planned. The underwater housing was finalized in design and is being manufactured. The magnetic coupling testing is planned and the fixture is being designed.
Test Plan SummaryThe different subsystems are tested to better understand the system and to ensure they function in the intended way.
Magnetic Coupling TestingMagnetic couplings are being used to ensure the system is waterproof while still allowing the blades to spin the motor. The magnetic coupling system is tested to see how the different distances and the different numbers of magnets will effect the force needed to separate the two couplings. More details can be found here.
- Create the desired spacing widths
- Set up Test Setup
- Find the force using a spring scale to pull one magnet away from another magnet for each thickness.
- Using Torque equation find the torque for varying radius and distances.
- Measure the force it takes to dislodge the moving coupling half from the stationary couple. And fill out the following table.
OFFSHORE HOUSING TEST PLAN
- Secure the waterproof connector to the box
- Hold the box underwater for the desired amount of time
- See testing flowchart for details
Blade DesignThe following images show the beginning of the blade design. The design is based off of the EStream, one of our benchmarking products. The blades are a kaplan style and are designed to slide in and out of the central hub easily.
3D Blade Models
Motor Housing DesignThe housing will be manufactured in parts, therefore it is designed in parts. The inside segment will hold the motor securely, while the outside housing is designed to be as small as possible and easy to manufacture.
3D Motor Housing Model
Design Review MaterialsSubsystem Build and Test Prep Presentation
Risk and Problem TrackingRisk Management Document
Plans for next phase
- Liana: complete underwater housing (PVC); waterproof testing and test plan
- Sara: Blade design; Blade manufacture
- Kristine: Manufacture new magnets; Execute test plan
- Ali: Motor testing plan / execute; Complete offshore housing components