Team Vision for Problem Definition Phase
- During the problem definition phase we planned to acquire a list of customer and engineering requirements. We wanted to interview the customer and understand the project.
- Our team interviewed the customer and gathered some customer requirements to incorporate into the design. From these customer requirements we identified more specific engineering requirements. We also identified some risks to keep in mind and try to avoid when designing.
SummaryIn many rural areas of developing countries electricity is often not available, or is intermittent at best. Surprisingly, many times cell phone coverage is available, and local residents rely on their phones for everything from weather forecasts to just conducting day to day business. The intent of this project is to develop a USB charger that obtains its energy from running water. This could be a stream, river, or any body of moving water.
The desired state for this project is to design a working portable 5V USB charger that is waterproof and user friendly. This will be achieved by researching the products that already exist and improving the MSD project from last year. Last years project had limited operation in different water currents and depths. The goals are to have a lightweight prototype that will operate in varying water currents and depths. Some key constraints are weight, 5lbs or less, size, voltage, 5V, and current, 2.5A.
Project Goals and Key Deliverables
- Functioning product that will charge a phone in various water conditions.
- Portable product that can be used in remote areas.
- MSD Team
- MSD Guide
- Chris Leibfried
- Residents of developing countries
- Run their day to day business
- Check weather update
- To stay connected with each other
- Campers and backpackers
Customer Requirements (Needs)
Engineering Requirements (Metrics & Specifications)Customer and Engineering Requirements
- Budget - $500
- Unit size in Volume - small enough for backpacking
- Lightweight limit - small enough for backpacking
- Power - to power a USB
- Doesn't harm wildlife
- Safe and easy to use
- Robust design