Table of Contents
Team Vision for Problem Definition PhaseThe problem definition phase of the project consisted of learning about the current problem with digitization at the George Eastman House in Rochester, NY. The plan for this phase was to familiarize ourselves with the current process and review the customer expectations. To accomplish this plan, we visited the Eastman House and spent time observing the process and all of the subsystems currently in place. The customer expectations were better understood by reading the project readiness package and the other supplemental reading our customer sent us (i.e. FADGI requirements).
Project SummaryThe George Eastman Museum's 2D artifact digitization process is currently an almost entirely manual one and is very labor intensive and time consuming. The museum photographer must manually calibrate the lighting to account for camera height, position the artifact carefully and capture one or more images of it while verifying the quality of the images and cleaning away dust every few images.
Ideally, this digitization process would have many of its key steps be automated, greatly reducing the time taken to digitize an object and reducing strain on the operator. This automation would function in such a way as to ensure the safety of both the artifact being imaged and the operator of the system.
The goals of this project are to analyze the current digitization process and to identify and address major points of improvement. These issues will be addressed in such a way as to be compliant to OSHA standards and intellectual property licenses and allow for the ability to upgrade the current equiment and to meet the FADGI 4-star requirements.
Project Goals and Key Deliverables
- Draft of Project Plan
- Systems Design: Weeks 4-7
- Benchmarking, Concept Generation, Risk Assessment, etc.
- Preliminary Design: Weeks 8-12
- Prototyping of systems, proof of concept, Preliminary Design Review, etc.
- Detailed Design: Weeks 12-14
- Order long lead-time parts*, Detailed Design Review, etc.
- MSD II Plan
- Detailed Documentation of Process: Weeks 14-16
- outline design, testing, manufacturing & building that went in to the creation of the product
- User’s guide for operation
Customer Requirements (Needs)
See this live document for up to date customer requirements.
Engineering Requirements (Metrics & Specifications)
See this live document for up to date engineering requirements.
- Budget - $400
- Room Size - 17' x 37'
- Achieve 4 star FADGI rating minimum
House of Quality
See this live document for the up to date P19510 house of quality.
Design Review Materials
Plans for next phaseDuring the Systems Design Phase, Team 19510 hopes to successfully accomplish the following tasks:
- Define FADGI requirements necessary for a 4-star rating
- Benchmarking: Research other 4-star FADGI processes
- Understand how to measure the FADGI requirements
- Understand Capture 1 basics
- Concept Development
- Overall bench design
Detailed 3 week plans for each team member can be found in this directory