Planning & Execution
Intellectual Property ConsiderationsThough team consensus, we have decided to award any intellectual property to our customer so it may be used for future iterations of the project to better improve the design of the composter.
- Main point of contact for the team
- Facilitates communication between team, guide, customers
- Invites important parties to design reviews
- Helps keep meetings on track
- Ensures norms and values are being followed
- Ensures everyone is participating
- Peer review
- Attempts to keep good interpersonal relations in the team
- Encourages team to deal with conflicts
- Lead Engineer
- Controls drawing revisions and makes sure everyone is using current drawings
- Determines necessary sub-assemblies and functional decomposition
- Decides final design ideas
- Deciding what needs analysed/simulated (FEA)
- Determines feasibility of designs
- Decides final design ideas
- Project Manager
- Monitors project deadlines
- Has a plan that is relevant and current
- Helps execute plan
- Realigns resources as needed
- Risk assessment updates
- Ensures Edge is updated
- Orders all parts and materials
- Keeps track of materials purchased
Team Values and Norms
- Be on time and focused during group meetings
- Take accountability for your work and/or mistakes
- Equal division of work based on skills and desire to learn
- Cooperation among the team and willing to help others if you can
- Make sure the group is aware of changes you are making to the page
- If you have to miss a meeting be sure to let the
group know ahead of time
- Clearly communicate schedule and prior commitments to the rest of the group
- Work together to resolve and frustrations or conflicts that may arise
Project Plans & Schedules
Problem Definition OverviewPlanned:
Systems Design OverviewPlanned:
Preliminary Detailed Design OverviewPlanned:
Detailed Design OverviewFor the next phase we plan on meeting with someone from the machine shop for a technical consultation. The consultation will be for suggestions on the best methods for cutting and or securing different parts of the structure together. We also plan on meeting with a subject matter expect to talk about the biology of the flies to get a better understanding of them. Risks will be reevaluated to see what risks have been added as well as what is no longer relevant. The BOM will continually be updated as more materials are purchased. Our 3D model will be finalized through the software program and a basic layout will be made for the shed to help visualize where everything will go. A plan will be established for MSD 2 for how we will begin construction along with how the rest of the materials will be gathered.
MSD 2 Preliminary ScheduleA preliminary plan/schedule was made for MSD 2:
MSD2 Updated Schedule
Build & Test Prep and Subsystem Build & Test
Integrated System Build & Test and Customer Handoff & Final Project Documentation
Risk Assessment and Growth Curves
Preliminary RisksPreliminary risk table used to anticipate the most critical risks at this point in the project.
- The environmental risks and the risks associated with the flies livelihood were assigned to our biomedical engineer
- The risks associated with the design of the composter were assigned to our mechanical engineers
- The risks associated with EHS were assigned to our industrial and systems engineers
The risk table can be downloaded using the following link: Preliminary Risk Table.
Systems Design RisksAdditional risks were identified in the systems design phase. The team continues to take time to evaluate and attempt to mitigate any risks that may occur during the project. Updated Risk Table (3-Oct-2019).
Preliminary Detailed Design RisksAdditional risks were identified in the preliminary detailed design phase. The team continues to take time to evaluate and attempt to mitigate any risks that may occur during the project. Updated Risk Table (12-Nov-2019).
Detailed Design RisksAdditional risks were identified in the detailed design phase. The team continues to take time to evaluate and attempt to mitigate any risks that may occur during the project. Updated Risk Table (9-Dec-2019).
MSD2Additional risks were identified in the Build & Test Prep phase. The team continues to take time to evaluate and attempt to mitigate any risks that may occur during the project.
An updated Risk Table with all identified risks can be found using the following link: Updated Risk Table (26-Jan-2020).
Problem TrackingThe team created a procedure/document to tackle problems as efficiently as possible: Problem Tracking.
Other Team Resources
Meeting times and locationDefault
- Tuesday and Thursday: 11am-1:45pm, 4460C
- Monday, Friday: 8am-9am, Midnight Oil
- Wednesday: 4pm-6pm, Erdle Commons Fishbowl
- Various days, various times, RIT Garden Shed
Meeting Minutes, Notes, & ActionsWe currently (9/12/19) do not have a designated note-taker. We will elect a note-taker to take and digitize notes from our discussions, decisions made, action items, and respective members assigned to the action items.
The team decided (10/7/19) not to elect an official note-taker. This position will rotate when applicable and all notes will be uploaded to the shared team drive (google).
Peer ReviewsPeer reviews will be scored using the following rubric:
- Peer reviews will be conducted after every MSD review
- Peer reviews will be anonymous
- Poor reviews and corrective action will be applied if any team member fails to uphold these standards
The peer review template can be downloaded using the following link: Peer Review Template.
Sarah Brownell is the primary customer contact
- Contact method: email
- Communicator will send confirmation email (day before) prior to scheduled meetings
Liz Maeder will facilitate communication with external resources
- Liz will CC team and guide on all emails
- Internal communication will be conducted through group texts
- All meetings will be scheduled using google calendar
- Team meetings will begin with a summary from each
- What each person has completed since the previous meeting
- What each person hopes to accomplish during the meeting
- If a team member cannot make a scheduled team meeting, he/she will inform the rest of the group as soon as possible
- Finish presentation >2 days before due
- Email presentation and agenda to Mark and Sarah >1 day before due